Friday, January 16, 2009

[MISP] A NEW DIGITAL MEDIA INDUSTRY

***This is a MISP Listserv message. Responses are sent to the list by default.***
***For more info about MISP and the listserv, scroll to the bottom of the page***
*

The use of tax paying money to build a new digital media industry unique to
New Mexico was the main concept I was pushing day one, even before the film
incentive was passed. Nicolas Paine (my producing partner) traveled to
government offices and schools all over New Mexico, not just Albuquerque and
Santa Fe, and the New Mexicans we talked to, especially those living in the
smaller communities like Grants finding it difficult to get a piece of the
film incentive pie loved the idea. However, the top dogs, all of which I
knew, didn¹t seem to agree with me for some reason. THEY FELT WHAT I WAS
SAYING (ABOUT A NEW DIGITAL MEDIA INDUSTRY) WAS TOO FAR INTO THE FUTURE TO
CONCERN THEMSELVES WITH. Elyse Meredith, my business partner, who did
believe in what I was saying donated over 100,000 dollars to help implement
some of these ideas with likeminded New Mexican digital institutions like
³Duke City Shootout.² But, even that cool little festival as well as the
rest of the New Mexico film industry seemed to become more and more enamored
with the glamour of Big Hollywood and the possibility of big money enriching
the state that I now feel her money and my efforts was money and energy not
well spent. I can thoroughly understand the sexiness of Hollywood being a
child of it, but I also know how the town works and how one¹s word means
absolutely nothing. People don¹t matter, only the bottom line matters, which
is okay if the rewards were equitable to all. This is why so many New
Mexican¹s are feeling taken advantage of. It is great that some bigwigs are
now saying the idea of using tax dollars to build a thoroughly New Mexican
digital media industry to be ready for the future is a good way to go.
Someone added me, probably a New Mexican, to www.thinkexist.com stating
³FIVE YEARS FROM NOW, THIS COULD BE A DIGITAL MECCA.² I am not sure how
much time is left from when I made that statement, but New Mexicans are
great artists, great scientists and a proud people...They¹ll make it happen
sooner or later.

LEAVING THE LIST /LIST INFO:
To leave the list, please email us at: artslab@unm.edu
For other list info, please visit: http://groups.google.com/group/nm-media-industries/web/media-industries-list-info
Available in RSS: http://groups.google.com/group/nm-media-industries/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml

No comments: